Liana came to me with a detailed and beautiful mockup that she wanted developed into a live site. We first discused each of the features she wanted and talked about the limitations on Blogger. From there we tweaked her mockups to reflect what the best solutions were and what was possible with the Blogger platform. I began developing the design on a test and adding each of the features. As a lot of Bloggers default layout needed to be stripped away and recoded, it was a pretty big project in terms of the development so we tested as we went along.
The original navigation that Liana wanted was a sticky navigation with the logo on the left and menu on the right with dropdown items and a search bar. Later on in the project, we decided to change it to the navigation being below the logo, keeping the sticky effect and search bar. We also added a cool effect to show a fade-in full width background for the dropdown items. We added a recent post slider above the content to show of recent post images. We added social media icons in a grid format to the sidebar, an Instagram widget showing latest updates and a widget for recent YouTube videos also.
We customised the post layout to show summaries on the homepage with a full width thumbnail, share icons and a read more button. We then created a secondary custom post layout on the category / label pages to show in a grid format with just an image, title and date. We customised the page layout for those pages to exclude the sidebar. For the footer, we added a navigation menu for the main topics and full width Instagram slider.