Today’s post was highly requested and something I’ve wanted to write a tutorial about for a while. First impressions and appearances count a lot, especially for blogging. We all know how important the design of your blog is, but paying for a photo editing software can be unnecessary and expensive. Today I will show you how to quickly create a (very on trend) zigzag background for your blog, using free software called GIMP.
Video : Create a blog background for free without Photoshop
Step by Step Guide – Create a Blog Background on GIMP
- Download GIMP from gimp.org/downloads, its free and legal.
- Open GIMP, Select File > New. You can alter the settings to how you wish, depending on what size you want your image to be and click ok. Then click File > Save As and save your image. Create a new layer (1a). Select the Fill Bucket (1b) and select the colour you want (1c) and fill the image area.
- Now we need to create horizontal lines. Go to Filter > Render > Pattern > Grid. Unlink the chains shown beneath the options (2a). Select the options (2b) and colour you want. I chose a width of 10, spacing of 20 (double the width so that they are the same size) and an offset of 10. You can play around with these for different effects.
- Now we want to turn the horizontal lines into a zigzag pattern. To do this we go Filter > Distort > Ripple. You’ll want to choose vertical for the orientation and sawtooth for the wave type. For the Edges setting, choose Smear, this will fill in the blank edges. Play around with these settings (3a) until the zig zag is the shape you want. For reference I selected the following – period of 24, amplitude of 6 and phase shift of 1.
- Export your zigzag image and upload it to your blog.
Alternatives to Photoshop and GIMP
Free Download : ZigZag Backgrounds
Keep the conversation going...
Join my new FREE Facebook Group. I'd love to see you there!